Ephesians: This is Us- The Mystery of the Church Part 2
The Mystery of the Church
I. The Church is an essential part of God’s eternal program. (Eph. 3:1-9)
A. The mystery of God’s eternal program shown to Paul. (Eph. 3:1-6)
- What is “A” mystery? (Eph. 3:5)
- What is “The” mystery? (Eph. 3:6)
– We are fellow heirs of the same hope.
– We are fellow members of the body.
– We are fellow partakers of the same promise.
B. The ministry of God’s eternal program shared with Paul. (Eph. 3:7-9)
- The ministry of the Gospel of God’s grace. (Eph. 3:7)
– It was honorable to Paul. (Eph. 3:2 “stewardship”)
– It was humbling to Paul. (Eph. 3:8a “the very least”)
– It was holy to Paul. (Eph. 3:8b “unsearchable”)
II. The Church is an essential part of God’s eternal purpose. (Eph. 3:10-13)
- What the Church exhibits before the angels now (vv.10-11)
- What the Church exhibits before the world now (vv.12-13)
A Prayer From Prison
I. Paul’s prayer for the Church was for spiritual strength.
A. The person from whence this strength comes from. (vv.14-16a)
B. The place where this strength forms. (v.16b)
C. The product that this strength brings. (vv.17-19)
- Greater fellowship is a result. (v.17a)
- Greater love is a result. (v.17b)
- Greater understanding is a result. (v.18)
– Breadth of His love reaches the world.
– Length of His love reaches eternity.
– Height of His love reaches heaven.
– Depth of His love reaches the cross.
- Greater fullness is a result. (v.19)
D. The purpose to which this strength rebounds. (vv.20-21)
This Week’s Memory Verse: “To him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever.” Ephesians 3:21